Played by Nabu
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
Information Runner and Courier
6 Threads
60 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-12-2018, 05:45 PM

This floor was as endless as the sea in some ways. She'd been there for three days thus far, and she hadn't run out of space yet. While she could fly and see it all in no time at all, it was not nearly as fun as getting down to the ground, the grit of the earth reassuring in many aspects. So she was roughing it, the only thing on her being a small hammock, already set up and the materials for the fire that burned bright at the edge of the forest and the cliff that towered over the jungle below. She lounged quietly, eyes bright as she watched the amazing view. Trees and a false but still beautiful night sky stretching as far as the eye could see. It was free of light pollution here, and the sky was an amazing array of blue, navy and purple, speckled by stars. She stretched out a foot and set the hammock to swinging gently. The sounds were rich with wildlife and the creaks of the trees in a slight but warm wind. The jungle behind her was as inscrutable as always but a flicker of something caught her attention. A branch, cracking wetly. A shuffle of what sounded like cloth, not normally found out here.

She turned, black mask defined only by the white eyes that shone luminous and bright in the dark. One arm draped over the back of the hammock to balance herself and she tilted her head. "Hello? If I heard right, and I am sure I did, you are welcome to come join me by the fire. The night is long, and the fire is warm." With that, she turned around again, content to let whoever had made the subtly out of place noise make their choice without further interference. It was not like this place was anything regarding subtle. Anyone out here had surely seen the bright orange light from a long ways off, even in the thickness of the jungle foliage. It wasn't subtle, and she'd seen visitors and fellow explorers before. Time would tell if this one would join her.

Find Keean

Quote Post
Played by King
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
Courier
2 Threads
31 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-12-2018, 06:02 PM

Every chance he got Keean would take the time to explore new and interesting floors of the city. Several weeks back it was a floor that resembled a ghost town with practically nobody on the streets. Half the buildings looked abandoned and while it might have freaked some people out, it only peaked the young demon's interest. A week or so after that he had spent several nights on a floor that was bustling with activity. Bright lights at every turn, new faces giving way to new faces, shop fronts and large squares packed with people. It was intense and beautiful in its own way.

The floor he was on now though, was something else altogether. The exact opposite of a bustling city, it was a peaceful expanse that had foliage layered on foliage. Every step he took seemed to take him to an even more stunning sight. That being said, it was all natural. Everything around him lacked the touches of man-made tools, so when he spotted a bright orange light in the distance it spurred his curiosity into action.

As he approached, rather noisily of course, he was startled to hear somebody call out to him and inviting him to join them. Sure he wasn't being sneaky but it still surprised him that somebody was out this far.

"I admit I'm surprised someone is even out here" He called out, pushing past a tree and swearing as a branch slaps him in the face. Moving into clearing the woman had set up Keean couldn't help but admire the fire that bathed the area in an orange glow, a mesmerising sight if ever there was one.

Stepping closer to the fire, Keean dropped his backpack on the ground and regarded his apparent host and offered her a friendly smile. "My name is Keean by the way, it's a pleasure to meet you Miss...?"

She had to be a demon, and while his initial thoughts were those of distrust...she seemed different. Younger perhaps? More serene? Either way he felt somewhat differently about this strange demon before him. Time would tell if his initial feeling was accurate or not.

Find Najwa

Quote Post
Played by Nabu
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
6 Threads
60 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-12-2018, 08:02 PM

The brush and shook and she heard the newcomer before she ever saw him. Not used to walking through brush, that was for sure. She stretched as they drew closer, the voice growing clear and defined. Deeper end of the scale, somewhat irritated. ...The whap of branch meeting flesh. A curse in the darkness. "A fire is sometimes a welcome respite in the dark, and to find someone out in the nevernever like this, it's always a surprise." Her airy voice answered him, lilting and at home among the chirps and cries of the wildlife. She swayed gently, head turning again as he drew closer. She was eager to see who it was that would join her this evening. White bright eyes shone in the dark, the new firelight giving him something of a better look at the black mask and the red robes that defined her look.

And so too did she get a better look at him in return. Young, at least on the surface. Pale and lithe and altogether stumbling through the thick plants that always made any simple step into a fight and a half. But more than that, she knew him, at least in passing. A courier, all the way out here? Not an unusual hobby, but an interesting one. She smiled slightly, teeth white against the black. "Good to meet you, Keean. You may call me Najwa. Come sit by the fire if you wish to stay, there is certainly room for you, and it is warm this night." She reached out a hand to shake his, ink black skin lit red by the firelight, the white star freckles tinged orange. "What brings you out all this way?"

Find Keean

Quote Post
Played by King
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
Courier
2 Threads
31 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-12-2018, 08:21 PM

Honestly it was as though he had stumbled into a meeting with some sort of holy figure or spirit. Illuminated by the light, covered in red robes and a black mask hiding her face. She was something else, that much was certain. The way she spoke was as though she had lived a thousand lifetimes and while it was entirely possible for a demon, he had to second guess himself. You could never know with his kind, someone who appeared young could very well be thousands upon thousands of years old. With that in mind, Keean stepped forward and grasped the woman's hand firmly but gently.

"Pleasure to meet you Najwa" He started, shaking her hand in a welcome gesture he'd reciprocated with many before.

"It's difficult to explain but if I was to try...I guess you could call me an explorer. Both of the world and the people in it" He said with a smile, releasing the woman's hand and taking a seat by the fire. It felt good to sit down, to relieve his aching body. He'd travelled quite far all things considered, so taking a load off by a warm fire sounded like heaven to the young demon. Ironic.

"Thank you for the offer by the way, Its nice to rest my legs" He grinned. "What brings you out here though? Guessing you're not here looking for a job" He chuckled, enjoying his own stupid joke.

Find Najwa

Quote Post
Played by Nabu
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
6 Threads
60 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-12-2018, 10:38 PM

Her grip, while not harsh nor gentle, rested somewhere in the middle. No limp wrist nor an overbearing need to dominate, merely a firm shake before the fingers fell away. The mask split a little wider, the mouth and eyes the only sign of definition upon its smooth rounded surface. But it was genuine and not much in the way of malice. Serenely curious, perhaps, but it wasn't often that Najwa knowing something about you lead to ill. "I can say the same."

She leaned forward as he sat next to the fire, elbows propped on skinny knees as she swung in the hammock. She'd known of him before, but that didn't mean she'd known about him and this small glimpse was intriguing, a depth she'd expected in a direction she hadn't. "What a coincidence. More of us these days, aren't there? How old are you?"

"Any time. It's not a problem to share a fire, an a little company that's friendly is never a bad thing. You've not come to rob me, have you? If not, then I see no problem with it." She hummed quietly, eyes blinking slowly in the firelight, curious and searching and centered on Keean. "I'm out here for more than one reason. It's quiet out there. Much like yourself, I like to explore. You never know what you'll see out here, and it's always different. You could be on the same floor a million times and still see something new, and I could probably go my entire life and never run out of new floors. " She chuckled quietly at the joke, but didn't respond. She never knew when a job might fall in her lap, and she wouldn't discount it just yet. "And, sometimes, I find things to bring back. I run a little curio stall in Nagini, among other things."

Find Keean

Quote Post
Played by King
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
Courier
2 Threads
31 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-12-2018, 10:56 PM

"A little over 300, a little under 400" He answered, not at all bothered by his age. He was so used to meeting demons who had lived for thousands upon thousands of years that he figured any demon his age would be looked down upon as nothing but a child. He didn't care though, he took pride in his young age. Time had yet to jade him, he still had the ability to get by without stabbing people in the back for fun and he would cling to that for as long as possible. More than that though, he still had so much to see and do. He couldn't imagine what it might be like in a thousand years from now, two thousand even. Would he be bored? The thought was honestly more terrifying than anything else to Keean.

He laughed at the demon's next comment, the idea that he'd be out here to rob some random person he'd stumbled across as though it was simply a second thought. Granted he'd known demons who would absolutely jump at the chance to attack some random person on their own. Perhaps it was their nature? Either way it wasn't something Keean would follow suit with.

"I don't think I'm in the business of harming random people. In fact Id like to think I help random people, typically when they hire me. I don't do it for the money you know?" He smiles. "I just like travelling. I like being on the move, seeing new things, meeting new people. You know how it is, apparently" He said, leaning back just slightly to look down at the fire. It really was a mesmerising sight.

"A curio stall huh? What kind of things have you found, if you don't mind me asking. I admit I'm curious as to what exactly you found interesting enough to drag back to a stall to sell"

Find Najwa

Quote Post
Played by Nabu
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
6 Threads
60 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-12-2018, 11:22 PM

She nodded a little, not surprised. She'd known he hadn't been on the scene of the city long and a major player even less, so his youth had been something she'd guessed in part already. But it was nice to have confirmation and a more exact number. The laugh was equally telling, dismissal of the idle suggestion she had given his way a reassuring one. And an unique one in this city. She was just meeting all sorts of unique and interesting people lately, and more pacifists in the last little while than the previous two hundred years. As he talked, she plucked the makeshift fire poker tucked next to her from it's resting spot and put it to work. She turned coals methodically, exposing them to air and the channels that would feed the flame, keeping it going well into the night. It was wet here, so thankfully she didn't have to work at keeping it contained, merely going. And all the while, she listened with the same intrigued patience.

"Well, count yourself among the few of that sort in this city. It's a respectable minority, one I like to support when I can." The hand not busy with the fire delved into the voluminous robes that draped over her frame and withdrew with a little compass, spinning wildly as if ungrounded. Then, she tossed it to him. "Just little artifacts that you find every so often. Some are useless, just fodder for tourists who come to the city because they think it's a thrill. Others I usually only sell to locals, things of actual importance here. Like that compass."

Find Keean

Quote Post
Played by King
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
Courier
2 Threads
31 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-12-2018, 11:35 PM

Keean knew he was among the minority in his beloved city, especially amongst his own kind. To meet someone who at least appeared to be similar to himself was refreshing to say the least. Najwa was intriguing, and so far she'd met his expectations quite easily. She seemed intelligent and more put together than the vast majority of the demons he'd met over his short life. That put her on a very small list of people he cared to actually talk to openly.

"I admit I'm surprised. I don't hold a lot of love for our kind typically, most of the demons I've met have been less than stellar in their behaviour and reasoning. You seem different though, an I appreciate that" He smiled, genuinely, something that had to be a rare sight by now.

Catching the compass that was tossed to him, Keean looked down at it with a raised brow. This probably broken compass was important? Najwa had to know he wouldn't just sit there and nod, she knew very well he'd have to ask about it. She was feeding into his curiosity more than she'd ever know, or perhaps she knew exactly what she was doing.

"Alright I bite, why is this thing important?" He asked. "And if you tell me about it pointing to my strongest desire I'm going to call bullshit" He grinned, fixing his new acquaintance with a friendly expression.

He'd said it partly in joke though he was mentally preparing himself for some similar sort of explanation about how it granted wishes or cured diseases. Maybe it was a ticking time bomb waiting to go off, annihilating an entire floor of the city in a bright flash and leaving nothing behind.

Or maybe Keean was overthinking things. Yeah, probably that last one.

Find Najwa

Quote Post
Played by Nabu
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
6 Threads
60 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-13-2018, 12:01 AM

She propped her chin up on the now empty left hand, eyes steady and while not judgmental, something approaching searching. And perhaps a little skeptical. While she understood that, could understand it with ease, didn't disagree in the slightest, it didn't mean she agreed either. "I can see whee you come from, at the very least. This city is rather ...tar like. Very few come out with squeaky clean morals in the long run. For you, I hope you keep yours, since they're so important to you." Where some might have twisted the last statement into a sneer or wry sarcasm, for her it was a genuine sentiment. If everyone could live life in the manner natural to them without infringing and destroying it for someone else, she did nothing but encourage it, at least on a personal level. "And thank you for the compliment."

She waved a hand as he joked over the nature of the little compass, head shaking slowly. "No, no, nothing so cliche. It leads you back to the nearest elevator for the different floors. If I actually got a compass that did that, you can bet I wouldn't tell anybody. And I wouldn't be handing it over either, sorry." Only half joking, her tone was still lighthearted and she pushed off with her foot again, swinging the hammock back and forth almost childish in her need to fidget and move. "But totally useless in floors where you can see the elevator pillar from anywhere, or outside the City, you see? No point in selling that to day-trippers."

Find Keean

Quote Post
Played by King
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
Courier
2 Threads
31 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-13-2018, 02:06 PM

Keean smiled sadly at that, the light not quite reaching his eyes. He spoke plainly when it came to morals and his views on the world around him, at the end of the day though he was far from clean. Sure he wasn't as blackened as others out there but he wasn't the angel he might have seemed to be. It was difficult to admit, though that didn't mean he wouldn't admit it.

"I have some strong beliefs on certain matters, chalk it up to my age and circumstances..." He started, fixing Najwa with a serious stare. "I wouldn't consider myself clean though. Perhaps I'm a hypocrite?" He chuckled, reaching back to retrieve a small flask of water from the pocket on his bag. Uncapping the top, he swallowed down a mouthful of the refreshing liquid before screwing the cap back on and returning his attention to his counterpart.

His new acquaintances response to his little joke was refreshing, the younger demon laughing in response as he turned the compass around in his hand. A curious little thing, useful too.

"A shame, and here I thought It'd grant me three wishes" He laughed, shaking his head at the ridiculousness. "Although I admit, it would become very useful should I find myself in unknown territory. Granted sometimes Its nice to get lost..." He trailed off, huffing out a breath as he looked up at the artificial sky.

"It's so different out here. I'm far too used to the bustle of the crowded floors or the miles upon miles of concrete. Its nice to escape that for a while" He mused.

Find Najwa

Quote Post
Played by Nabu
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
6 Threads
60 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-13-2018, 05:39 PM

The now sad light in his was a sober one, one she'd felt once upon a time. The reconciliation that very few got away without tar and blood on their hands, it was never an easy one. It had some measure of sympathy in it for her, though, and she nodded slowly, eyes intent and bright in the firelight, flickering and somber. "It doesn't make you a hypocrite, I don't think. If you were totally innocent in what this city holds for a legacy, I would be surprised. The question of nature and nurture is a long holding one, but it matters little in the reality here. Either you're born to it or you're baptized in it, it makes only a small difference. Intent makes much more. Do you intend to be kind where you can, and when you can?" She spread inky black hands, dark splotches in the red background that was her shapeless form, swathed in robes that hid the rest of her.

She took a moment, eyes fixed on his hands, wrapped around the little compass that had ceased to spin once it'd landed in his hands. "No, but I know who does. That's a different matter, though. You see these sort of things are what you find out here. Baubles and curiosities. If you promise me a favour, you may keep it if you like it." He wasn't wrong and she clapped her hands together. "What a way to see it. Yes, sometimes it is, isn't it?" She laid back, looking skyward for a long moment. The lights that she knew her whole life were glimmering, real looking but fake for all the accuracy. And you could lose yourself in them if you really tried. "Do you like to? Lose yourself, that is? Is that why you're here?"

Find Keean

Quote Post
Played by King
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
Courier
2 Threads
31 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-13-2018, 06:08 PM

Keean smiled genuinely at that, nodding his head as he listened to the apparently quite wise demon speak. Perhaps she had wisdom beyond her years, or maybe she was just naturally good at speaking. Either way it was certainly nice to listen to, a nice calming conversation away from the prying ears of passersby. Out here in the middle of nowhere, seated before a crackling fire, it was almost as though it was a dream. Something told the younger demon that pinching himself wouldn't yield any fruit.

"I try to be as kind as I can given our circumstances. I don't particularly like the idea of stabbing others in the back or using people for my own wishes. If I'm honest, I only want two things..." He trailed off, holding up a finger.

"I want to enjoy myself. I want to have fun, to experience new things and meet new people. I live for this" He gestured between the two of them then made a sweeping motion to the area around them.

Lifting a second finger to meet the first he fixed his counterpart with a solemn look. "And the second thing I want is answers to questions, though Id much rather keep those questions to myself...for now at least" He smiled, dropping his hand as he considered he request.

"I think I'll take you up on that. Do you plan on cashing in this favour now or later?" He chuckled. "And I suppose you could say that. Sometimes its nice to get lost, perhaps its humbling...or maybe exciting is a better word. I'm not sure, I just know that I enjoy it"

Find Najwa

Quote Post
Played by Nabu
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
6 Threads
60 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-13-2018, 08:01 PM

The product of many years of solitude, utter silence with only her own contemplation to break it. She'd had more than enough time to break her own ideas down and rebuild them. If her logic wasn't even solid enough to survive her own arguments, then it wasn't logical and ought to be rethought. And then, and then. People tested it in a whole new way, checking her thoughts with cold hard reality. So six hundred years, solidly spent with self aware examination both of herself and the world around her went quite a ways. "Then you are not a hypocrite. I can't speak of you, because I am not you. But when I am forced from the patterns that I prefer to live my life by, it's not malicious, it's not my choice and I don't relish it. Perhaps it is wishful thinking, but that is different than those who could take another path, but choose the cruel path anyways. In principle, anyways. I don't consider myself very principled, not any more. Please, hold close to yours."

She was a study in light and dark, a curious mix that was the product of an attempt to keep to the light but not shun the dark. He was lighter though, in a much more honest way and she was serious as she stared him down, a living warning for a split second. Then, she smiled once more, banishing the dark shadow in her gaze. "Do you want an answer for everything, all of it, or something specific?"

"No, no. Simply an open offer. I can promise it won't be anything more weighty than a piece of information. And it's open to negotiation. I won't force you if I ask for something you can't or don't wish to give." Sincere, at the very least. Sometimes information was a heavier curse than any act, but it was how she made her living and she was honest about it. And she had no intention of strongarming anyone. That only made enemies. She'd had enough of enemies.

Find Keean

Quote Post
Played by King
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
Courier
2 Threads
31 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-14-2018, 03:30 PM

Keean hummed in thought for a moment, considering Nawja's words carefully. The ability to choose the path of lesser evil and actually going through with it was perhaps something to admire about himself. He wasn't without his flaws, that much was certain, but he could at least claim to be trying to live a fairly decent life. Dragging others down for fun or simply to get ahead in life wasn't particularly his style. Perhaps that would change in a couple of centuries, or maybe he'd remain this way for as long as he lived. Only time could answer that particular question.

"I don't want the answers to everything, that would just be plain boring" He chuckled. "Nah, I'm looking for very specific answers to very important personal questions" He conceded, trying not to dig too deeply into it quite yet. There were some things he liked to keep to himself if possible, if only because it was a difficult subject to broach.

"Information huh? I suppose Id be happy to provide that if ever I come across something you'd like to know. So long as you don't ask me to kill anyone I'm pretty sure I'll be able to accept what you request of me" He answered, fairly happy to offer her what she sought. Still though, he wasn't quite sure what information she usually asked for.

"Perhaps I can also offer you my services sometime. I'm a fairly reliable courier, if I do say so myself" He grinned, knowing full well that he was pretty much boasting.

Find Najwa

Quote Post
Played by Nabu
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
6 Threads
60 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM

"Well, if you ever need help with that, do not hesitate to come ask. I make a habit of knowing that sort of thing." She shrugged, not interested in prying. He'd volunteered enough, and some things just weren't helped by demanding the answers. All in due time. She'd be a hypocrite if she said there weren't things she wanted to keep to herself as well. "No, no, nothing like that. it's whatever i get asked of. you never know, it might just be something mundane. And like I said, you can refuse. I'm not going to twist your arm about anything."

She smiled a little as he spoke of his courier services, some private joke tugging at the corner of her lips. "You are at that."

Subscribe to this thread