Quote Post
Played by Trav
Human with Civil Demon
Legion
Legion Sketch Artist
5 Threads
20 Posts
No Content Restrictions

This post was last modified: 02-03-2018, 04:13 PM by Morticia Wheeler Posted | 02-02-2018, 12:18 AM

Morticia loved flea markets. They were honestly one of the only places she liked to buy things. Things that had a life before. They had a history of their own, a whole series of stories from the lives of untold people who's hands had lain across them. A wooden duck sure was tacky mantle piece decor but every scuff, imperfection and chip in the wood was a story. A Frisbee gone off course. Gymnastic moves where the landing didn't go as plan. Maybe a new born mistaking the mallard for a hammer and spending a day pounding the statue into the floor. It could be anything.

"How much for the duck. It isn't marked." Morti adjusted the wide brimmed hat she was wearing, a prize from earlier in the day, to see the elderly woman running the table better. The artist had been standing at the table for a good five minutes at this point. Mulling over each treasure and deciding whether or not it was worthy to join her horde.

"For the duck...I'll do three." She pretended to mull over the price like she was really taking a cut. A common tactic among the cruel streets of the flea market. Morti thought it over for a moment. Her hands reached out grasping several other items from the table she had marked in her mind while looking through the collection.

"Throw in this book, scarf and the dashboard Jesus and I'll give you ten." Her eyes locked onto the old woman's for a moment. A temporary fire in her eyes, one of the few times she had it, as she clashed against the woman's gaze. After a long moment she nodded and Morti let out a slight yip with glee as she gladly paid the woman. After the exchange was done Morti started to stuff her loot into an oversize shoulder bag. One she always carried for such an expedition. Though as she was doing so she wasn't quite paying attention. Backpedaling into the crowd to find her next target she backed right up into someone. As soon as contact was made Morticia sputtered in a panic, waving her arms out to counterbalance her movement. She knocked her hat askew obscuring her vision as she turned to see who it was she had bumped into. Slowly she lifted the wide brim to address the person in panicked tones.

"Oh gods. I am so sorry. I really don't pay attention to what I'm doing- such a damn spaz- are you okay?"

Find Najwa

Quote Post
Played by Nabu
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
Information Runner and Courier
6 Threads
60 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-02-2018, 10:03 PM

She'd spent two days delving into another unknown floor of the city, abandoned but for the wanderers and the rats. She'd actually found something now and again too, a little brass bell, a handful of books, and a rather nice tasseled necklace. Most of these were tucked in the shoulder bag she used for transporting such finds. It was nice to be away from the hustle and bustle sometimes, the empty quiet of the massive worlds that passed for city floors a peaceful one. Half the time she lost herself in it, spent hours wandering without a purpose. But she'd found something alright this time and she paused for a moment, head held high as she tried to peer above the crowd. It was a good time to find buyers for this, and the books would stay with her. But first, she had to find someone willing to take them.

But even she didn't expect the purpose bumping into her back, so focused she'd been on locating one of her more popular buyers. One blackened hand flew out as she stumbled, catching herself on the ground. Her bag upended itself, all too eager to rid itself of the heavy load and Najwa hissed under her breath as she saw all her books scatter and the bell tumble out of reach. She sat back on her heels and looked plainly for a moment. Well, that hadn't gone well. She looked over her shoulder for a second, curious and even a little bit disgruntled at the shove. No harm didn't always mean no foul. Not always. Still, she was not naturally a grudge holder and her eyes were more intrigued than irritated.

And the apology went a long way. She waved one hand idly as she scooped the books to her chest with the other, mostly over it. The bell was unfortunately forgotten as she pushed herself back to her feet, back straining under the stack of books. "No, no, it's fine. Scraped palms aren't a huge deal. And the books are fine. Don't worry about it." A reassuring nod was directed Morticia's way before she paused to tuck the books back where they belonged.

Find Morticia Wheeler

Quote Post
Played by Trav
Human with Civil Demon
Legion
Legion Sketch Artist
5 Threads
20 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-03-2018, 04:16 PM

The woman she had knocked into seemed to be not to pleased with her at first. Though she didn't break right out into yelling at the clumsy girl so for that she was thankful. She scrambled to help the woman pick up her books but she was swift in grabbing them herself. Morticia noticed a small bell rolling away and reached out, animating the object to life. It stopped suddenly, ringing at the change in it's motion. With a bounce and another jingle it quickly rolled back to Morti and hopped into her open palm.

"I should really start watching where I'm going. Sometimes I just get caught up in my own head..." A sleeved hand tapped her temple under the wide brimmed hat as she chuckled nervously. She looked over the bell for a moment, admiring the brass finish as it shined in the sun. Bouncing it in her hand she released her animating the object and handed it over, the metallic sphere presented between her index finger and thumb.

"Here. This is yours right? Really cool find?! I love the small nondescript items like that. Who knows what it came off of. I sure don't." She giggled slightly at her own statement followed my a light snort. She found her own humor funny more than others did. Not that it was a problem to her. So long as she could laugh at herself who cared if others did. Once the object had been returned she tucked her hands into the pockets of her oversize cardigan.

"I'm Morti. You're really pretty can I say that?" Her eyes bugged out of her head as she realized the implications of the statement. "NONONO not like that!" She stammered quickly raising her hands to reiterate her point. "I'm not like hitting on you...just like. A generalized statement? Oh gods." She buried her face into her hand, a hefty shade of red taking over the pale skin on her face.

Find Najwa

Quote Post
Played by Nabu
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
6 Threads
60 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-05-2018, 10:02 AM

Najwa watched curiously as the lady retrieved her bell, the bell snapping back to her palm like it was attached with fishing line. She stepped a little closer and shifted the bag on her shoulder, trying to get the books to sit comfortably. "It happens to me too, I would not worry about it overly much." She cracked a small mile as Morticia admired the bell, seeing a chance here in the appreciation of the little thing. "It is, actually. I spend a lot of time in the floors people don't go to much, you find many neat things there. Like this."

She plucked the bell from Morticia's hand for a moment and gave it a shake. And quick, before the tone came to a stop, she pulled hard on the clapper hung in the center. She hid it in her hands for a second before showing it to her. Where there was one bell, now there were two sitting on her palm. A perfect replica in miniature, not bigger than her pinkie nail. "It does this if it's ringing. Unfortunately, it has little use beyond being interesting and the smaller ones don't do the same thing, but I'm sure someone will buy it."

She tilted her head as the quick compliment came out, followed by embarrassment once more. It was true, too, and Najwa giggled, shaking her head. "I did not take it the wrong way, don't worry. And thank you, you are very pretty, too, Morti. You can call me Najwa." She reached out a hand and patted Morticia's shoulder reassuringly. "I think you worry a little too much for something that was flattering."

Find Morticia Wheeler

Quote Post
Played by Trav
Human with Civil Demon
Legion
Legion Sketch Artist
5 Threads
20 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-08-2018, 01:30 AM

"That's the best part about finds like this." Morticia spoke as she still stood, in awe, of the woman's demonstration with the bell. "Conversation pieces. I heard someone call them that once and I've clung to it ever since." She often did things like that. The best way to build up ones own vocabulary and arsenal of phrases was to remember and repeat things that you liked. Of course that same practice had her saying to word 'groovy' far too much through her freshman year.

The woman took her blundering compliment with flying colors. Much better than some would but she supposed if she had been a six foot greasy haired sleaze-bag like some then it would have been different. Of course who knew. That could be her type. If she had a type. She was making too many assumptions.

"Oh you are far too kind really." She could feel blood coming up to her cheeks as the woman returned the compliment. Though she brought up a common point that had been brought to the artists attention time and time again. She tended to over think, over react.

"Its a force of habit at this point. I have some security issues I think." Her hand ran through the back of her hair underneath the floppy hat. A nervous tick.

Find Najwa

Quote Post
Played by Nabu
Solo Demon
Unaffiliated
6 Threads
60 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 02-13-2018, 07:29 PM

"Right? You never know what you'll find if you take the time to look. And this is one of the best places to look, there's so much in Nagini, it's new every day." If nothing else, Najwa was more easy going than some, not seeing much beyond the intended meaning of what was said. There was no twinge in her gut that spoke of falsehood, just an honest compliment from a lady who perhaps didn't think everything quite through but nonetheless had her heart in the right place.

She shrugged slightly, eyes tracking to the left as someone stepped to the left. And in that moment of distraction, someone bumped past her, shoulder to shoulder knocking her off balance once again. But it wasn't until she twisted, honestly irritated at being jostled for the second time in as many minutes that she spotted the truth to the situation. The outside pocket of her cloak was suspiciously lighter, and a surreptitious hand was already reaching for Morticia's shoulder bag. "Hey!" Her voice was as forceful as it got, barking out an indignant alert to the pickpocket.

Subscribe to this thread